Sun’s out, time to play! Summer has got to be the best time of the year. With temperatures soon soaring, you will have no choice but to take full advantage of the water. It’s almost time for friends and family to lather on sunscreen and spend some time in the sun.
With a stream of water enthusiasts coming and going throughout the season, you need to be sure your dock is ready to handle the load. We have a few tips to help you get your dock summer-ready, so let’s dive right in!
What You Need to Prepare Your Dock for the NJ Summer
To prepare your deck for the season, you’ll need a few things on hand. Make your summer dock checklist with these tools and supplies:
- A hose or pressure washer
- Marine-safe soap
- A soft-bristled brush
- Tools to install a new dock, including a hammer, wrench or socket, ratchet, and Phillips head screwdriver
How to Prepare Your Dock for the New Jersey Summer
Here’s how to get summer ready on the water, whether you already have a dock or need to get one.
1. Buy a Dock (If You Don’t Already Have One)
First things first. To get ready for the summer and prepare your dock, you need one. That goes without saying, so if you already have one, great! If you’re looking around for a dock that suits your waterfront needs, look no further.
You can find the perfect dock for you, whether you need something commercial, municipal or residential. If you own a boat or any other personal watercraft (PWC), you’ll find what you need to get sorted in time for summer.
Looking for a floating dock? No problem! We have boat lifts and ports, too. If you’re not convinced, here’s why you should own a dock:
- Privacy: There’s nothing better than having peace of mind to enjoy your private docking setup.
- Storage: Safely store your kayak, PWC or boat with the right dock and lift.
- Access: No need to go far to jump into a beautiful waterway.
- Customization: Add accessories like lights, benches, umbrella brackets and even a slide to make it truly unique and enjoyable.
You can also find short-term dock rentals if you’re looking for something less permanent or want to host a function.
2. Schedule Installation
Once you’ve decided on the dock model and size, arrange for experts to do the rest. Call or visit for advice on the next steps to get your summer dock installed. Try to schedule your installation well in advance so you can get out on the water as soon as possible.
If you already have a dock and need maintenance or repairs done, reach out to professionals to check things out for you.
3. Dewinterize Your Dock
If you already own a dock, you’ll need to dewinterize it. Getting your dock summer-ready is as important as preparing it for winter, especially since it’s used more often during the warmer New Jersey months.
There are a few things to do before you can fully enjoy your dock:
- Clean your dock: It’s easy enough — all you need is a pressure washer to get rid of dirt, scum and algae that may have accumulated over the winter.
- Inspect your dock: Once it’s clean, it will be easier to see if there’s any visible damage to the surface so you can schedule any repairs, if necessary.
- Inspect your boat lift: If you have one, check that all parts are functional and that no rust is visible or any other damage can be seen and repair it if needed.
- Check your structural support: Inspect your floats, bumpers, support poles and ties to ensure they’re secure and in good working condition.
- Remove, inspect and clean accessories: If your dock has removable accessories, you should inspect to see that everything still works after the winter break and clean everything before reattaching.
It’s worth spending adequate time cleaning and inspecting your dock and all the components in and around it, whether submerged or not.
4. Clean and Protect Your Dock
It’s generally recommended that you clean your dock once or twice a year as part of its maintenance care. It will only benefit you in the long run.
It’s effortless to clean your dock — all you need is a pressure washer and water. You can add gentle detergent or marine-safe soap to remove any stubborn grime or other dirt deposits.
If you’re getting a new dock for the summer, consider one made of polyethylene and molded rubber so they’re durable and non-toxic, not posing a threat to marine wildlife.
5. Get and Set up Accessories
Here’s the fun part! You can customize your dock with some cool accessories. We’ve listed a few you can choose to personalize your dock for summer and add more fun for everyone:
- Bench: A bench offers the comfort you need if you don’t feel like swimming and want to watch the others from the dock.
- Storage box: Keep life jackets, ropes, water toys and other small accessories away in a storage box to limit clutter on your dock.
- Umbrella bracket: This fixture lets you place your umbrella above the bench for protection from the sun when things get too heated.
- Bumper kit: Attach bumpers to the sides of the dock to act as a buffer to prevent damage to your boat or PWC.
- Ladder: With several lengths available, ladders make it easy to get in and out of the water safer.
- Lights: Extend your time on the water and find your way in the dark with solar lights made especially to fit your dock.
- Slide: This accessory is a must-have for everyone, from groups of friends to families with kids.
With all these great additions, you and your crew will never be bored at the water’s edge!
6. Enjoy Your Dock
Now that you’ve ticked off your checklist to get your dock ready for the NJ summer, you can rest easy knowing your guests will be entertained with fun accessories and a clean and secure dock. All that’s left is for you to enjoy yourself, too! We will take care of all your docking needs.
Get a New Deck, Add-Ons or Accessories From EZ Docks
From durable floating docks to fun and practical accessories, EZ Docks has what you need for a New Jersey summer on the water. Our docks are built to face the harshest elements with reinforced UV16 protection so there’s no need to paint or wax them when you’re going to use them in the summer or prep them for the winter. Our docks won’t chip or warp, either, making maintenance a breeze.
If you already own one of our docks, enhance it this summer with add-ons, from boat lifts to ramps and smaller accessories.
Simply reach out to us to get a quote!