Because a new dock represents a significant investment for your property, it’s essential that you choose the design that best fits your needs. Knowing the look you want, how you plan to use your new dock, and your required budget are all critical factors in your decision. Your dock will provide decades of dependable use, so be sure to research all your options before making a purchase.
Stationary Docks vs. Floating Docks
When deciding which type of dock to build for a river, you have two options — a floating dock or a stationary dock. Each offers different advantages and disadvantages.
- Stationary docks: Although stationary docks provide superior stability for positioning and excellent durability, they present potential issues in deep rivers, water bodies with complex riverbeds or areas where water levels see significant fluctuations.
- Floating docks: Floating docks are often the more economical choice because they require minimal time for installation. They also need little maintenance, and their versatility allows them to work well in almost any water level.
Why Some Docks Work Better for Certain Bodies of Water
If your property is near a river, lake or ocean, you already understand how water levels can fluctuate. In addition to fluctuation, factors like water depth and bed conditions will play critical roles in the type of dock you select.
- Water fluctuation: Tides, currents, rainfall, high winds and other boat traffic can significantly affect a river’s water level and factor into the optimal dock design.
- Bed conditions: Stationary docks cannot accommodate unstable muddy, silty or rocky beds. Floating docks provide a contact-free solution to challenging riverbed terrains and won’t interfere with their natural conditions.
- Depth: Floating docks are ideal for almost any river depth, while stationary dock pilings often do not work well in deep waters due to potential installation issues.
Choosing the Size of Your River Dock
Once you select the optimal river dock design, the next step is determining the ideal size. Reputable dealers like EZ Dock offer dock sections in various shapes and sizes configurable to your exact needs, whether you plan on using them for leisure or docking your river boat. You can also select multiple add-ons to personalize your dock, from benches and ladders to bumpers and railings.
Contact EZ Dock Today
If you need help choosing the ideal design or layout for your upcoming river dock project, the experts at EZ Dock can help. Our team is committed to providing clients with the most practical long-term solutions to fit their needs. Contact us online today to get started!