People love spending time in the water, whether swimming, boating or fishing. The presence of water also enhances other recreational activities, such as hiking and bird-watching. A recreation center near a body of water offers many opportunities for visitors, and if you’re looking to level up your facility, we have some water-related ideas. Keep reading to learn how to upgrade your recreation center docks!
5 Dock Styles for Recreation Centers
The first thing you’ll want to consider is how people primarily use the docks. Do you need space to secure large boats or to launch personal watercraft (PWC) into the water? Will people jump in for a swimming session? Are some people just looking to sunbathe out on the dock? However your visitors spend their time, consider these five dock styles as you prepare for an upgrade.
1. Floating Docks
Floating docks are the most practical choice, as they’re perfect for deep water locations and challenging bed conditions. They stay afloat with water level changes and don’t negatively affect the environment around them. Plus, when you choose docks made from durable materials such as polyethylene, you will save time and effort on maintenance and repairs. With this innovative and functional solution, you can feel free to move away from your traditional docks for recreation centers.
Need a safe and durable walking platform to get around without affecting the environment? Then, you may want to consider a floating dock walkway for your recreation center. These walkways are easy to install on both land and water and require no permanent foundation, meaning that you can create safe walking platforms without affecting the natural habitats below. It’s a long-term investment that will make your facility more accessible for your visitors.
3. Swim Platforms
As a recreation center manager, you may be extra aware of safety during the swimming season. To reduce slip-and-fall accidents or the occurrence of protruding nails and splinters, you should think about installing floating swim platforms that are made from safe and durable materials. Swim platforms give you easy access to the water but do not allow water to pool, reducing slips. You can assemble and customize these platforms for any type of activity, including swimming and snorkeling.
4. Boating Docks
One of the main functions of docks is to provide a secure location for mooring and docking boats. While it’s better for boats to be stored out of water, it’s not a feasible option for everyone. In addition to floating docks and walkways, you can ensure that boats stay safe and dry with the EZ BoatPort®. This boating dock accommodates a wide range of boat shapes and sizes and may come with side extensions for extra walk-around room.
5. Kayak Launches
One does not simply get in a kayak gracefully, even those who are seasoned kayakers. Make it easier for your visitors to enter — and exit — their kayaks by adding floating launches for kayaks around your recreation center. These kayak launches come with integrated launch-assist paddle notches that keep paddles secure and locked in place. People will love the idea of paddling around throughout the year, knowing they can do so without getting wet upon entrance or exit!
Accessories to Take Your Recreation Center to the Next Level
Floating docks can create a docking space for recreational watercraft or provide a place for visitors to jump in. However, if you really want to create an exceptional space for entertainment, there are many types of recreation center dock accessories to choose from. Accessories will add to the overall dock experience, from the large family get-togethers to the couple looking for a relaxing day on the water.
Whether your space attracts fishers, boaters or sunbathers, these accessories can help turn recreation center visitors into regulars:
- Slides: Bring one of the best parts of the playground to the water. Constructed with rugged and durable polyvinyl-coated steps and a smooth polyethylene bed-way, kids will enjoy sliding into the water for hours on end. We recommend installing these slides only where the water depth is more than five feet to ensure kids can enjoy themselves safely.
- Swimming lanes: Passionate swimmers may enjoy swimming in freshwater, but the presence of other water sports and activities may hinder their laps. With floating ropes, you can add swim lanes for swim meets or use them to designate areas meant only for swimming.
- Storage boxes: Store life jackets, towels, ropes, fishing supplies and any other equipment close to the water so that visitors do not need to carry these items back and forth. Lockable dock-mounted storage boxes made out of weather-resistant materials add convenience for visitors who don’t want to get out of the water until it’s time to go home. Look for roomy storage boxes that flow with your dock structure but do not interfere too much with foot traffic.
- Ladders: Your visitors love jumping off the dock and into the water. Adding swim ladders in strategic places will allow more swimmers to climb easily into and out of the water. Make sure to look for sturdy ladders made out of materials that are less heat transferable, especially during hot weather. Ideally, they should contain slip-resistant textured surfaces.
- Benches: Watching a sunrise or sunset over a body of water is one of life’s simplest pleasures. Adding a few benches around your dock will provide accessibility and a space for people to rest, supervise kids or simply enjoy the view. Benches made out of polyethylene are easy to clean and maintain throughout all seasons at your facility.
- Umbrella brackets: Add some sun protection to your docking area by installing shades and umbrella brackets so your visitors can have recreational fun out of the sun. Umbrellas can enhance the look and feel of your dock and provide additional opportunities for branding. Plus, any lifeguard on duty will appreciate the extra sun protection.
Elevate Your Docks With EZ Docks
If you are a recreation center owner or manager in the Mid-Atlantic area, EZ Docks can help you find customizable floating dock options and accessories suitable for water activities. Our modular dock designs are durable and UV-resistant to withstand any weather conditions for a long time.
The possibilities are endless with EZ Docks. If you have questions about our products or financing options, get in touch with us online or request a quote. We are excited to help your recreational center flourish!